Beginning and Intermediate Sailing Camps
- Kinder Pram (ages 4-6) A late afternoon of sailing and fun. KinderPram is an easy introduction to sailing at our lakefront. Kids enjoy entertaining activities targeting rudimentary sailing skills both on and off the water along with a parent or guardian.
- Pram Camp (ages 7-10) This is the perfect camp for those just starting out as well as those who are returning to enjoy and master their new sailing skills. Nine camps are available for your selection.
- 420 Camp (ages 11-17) The 420 dinghy offers a simple learning platform for those first-timers and an exciting challenge for those seeking to master their skills. Nine entertaining, student-friendly camps are available for your selection, choose from half or full day options.
- Youth Reachers (ages 8-12) For adventurous youth looking for the next level of sailing challenge and fun, Youth Reachers, will provide the opportunity for to learn how to windsurf, sail an own Open Bic, and or sail on a big boat (the school’s 23’ Sonar).
- Opti Learn to Race (ages 8-12) This is the perfect next step for young sailors looking to continue their fun at the GLSS. Many intermediate skills are stressed with a focus on self-reliance. Sailors rig by themselves, launch themselves and sail alone.
- Reachers (ages 12-18) Using the GLSS 420s, Windsurfers, and 23′ Sonar new intermediate and advanced skills are introduced including performance teamwork, spinnaker and trapeze sailing. Students have fun with their peers while developing skills that will last them a lifetime.
Advanced Racing Team Programs
- Opti Race Team (ages 8-15) Optimist Dinghy racing. A summer-long advanced sailing program for youths seeking the thrills, teamwork and challenges of competition. X-Boat Advanced Racing Team (ages 12-16) Teamwork at its best. Master the skipper/crew relationship through our historic youth X-boat racing advanced sailing program. 420 Racing (ages 13-18) GLSS Run Racing on Tuesday and Thursday nights from 5:30 til sunset, racing will commence at 6:30 leaving an hour for practice. 420 Charter agreement required for participation.
- X Boat Race Team (11-16) This program offers a positive team setting where young sailors can learn and apply advanced racing skills. X-boat Racing Team members begin their day at 8:30am with a general meeting and review of previous days efforts. Sailors participate in a chalkboard lesson or land exercise emphasizing a key skill each day. After coaches issue a game plan for the practice or race ahead, sailors are then sent to rig and launch.
- High School Sailing (7th-12th Graders) High School program in 420′s and Lasers. Practices Mon, Tues and Thursday 3:30-5:30. Regional competitions occur on weekends.
- 420 Racing is an exciting intermediate-advanced level racing class for 12-20 year olds that want to bring their sailing to the next level. This is the perfect class for sailors interested in High School/Collegiate racing. Advanced sailing techniques, tactics and boat-handling will be the emphasis of the course. The class utilizes the school’s 420 Dinghies and meets every Friday evening.
Adult Sailing Opportunities
- Intro to Sailing, US Sailing Small Keelboat Certification and Intro to Scows (ages 18+) It’s never too late to start sailing right. Lessons are available for everyone — whether you’re a complete beginner or if you just want a quick refresher course. Come join us.
- For more adult sailing opportunities, see "Adult Classes."