GLSS will host a US SAILING level 1 Instructor Course on Memorial Day weekend May 22-25 2020. The goal of the program is to produce highly qualified instructors, thereby reducing risk exposure for sailing programs. Topics covered in the course include: classroom and on-the-water teaching techniques, risk management, safety issues, lesson planning, creative activities, ethical concerns, and sports physiology and psychology.
This is a 4-day, 40-hour course. Attendance at all 40 hours is mandatory. Absence from any portion of the course excludes the instructor candidate from certification.
All candidates must have reached their 16th birthday within the calendar year that the course is being held in. Candidates under 18 years of age who complete the course will be designated as a Sailing Assistant until their 18th birthday
- Sailing experience in small boats, such as prams, dinghies, multi-hulls and small keelboats. Level 1 instructors must be able to sail any small boat sufficiently.
- Experience operating a safety boat. This course is evaluative: Powerboat skills are tested, not taught, during this course.
- Ability to swim 50 yards both with and without life jacket.
- US Sailing Individual, College or Family Membership (youth membership is not applicable and only one instructor is allowed per family membership)
- National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) Safe Boating certification.
- *** NEW! US Sailing Teaching & Coaching Fundamentals (Starting 9/15/19) : Developed in conjunction with the US Olympic Committee (USOC), this course gives the building blocks of good instructional practices for becoming an effective educator on and off the water. A guide on how to complete the course can be found here and a few Frequently Asked Questions are answered here.
Small Boat Level 1 Instructor Certification is not valid unless accompanied by:
- First Aid and CPR Certification
- SAFESPORT certification
COURSE FEES payable to US SAILING
$370 if received more than four (4) weeks prior to course start date
$390 if received within four (4) weeks of course start date
$440 if received within one (1) week of course start date
Registration is on a first pay basis. US Sailing will not reserve spots without full payment.